o Remarks
o Past Postings
O Works
o Downloadable Papers
o List of Publications
o Conference/Workshop Presentations
o Invited Talks
o Abstracts
O Works by other linguists (downloadable papers included)
o Works by Ayumi Ueyama (including her 1998 thesis)
o Works by J.-R. Hayashishita
o Works by Teruhiko Fukaya
o Works by Satoshi Kinsui
o Other Works
LINKS
O Dept of Ling, USC

O Ayumi Ueyama's webpage (written mostly in Japanese)
O Satoshi Kinsui's webpage (written mostly in Japanese)
O Jason Merchant's webpage
You can e-mail me at: hoji [at] usc.edu
Mailing address
Department of Linguistics
University of Southern California
Los Angeles, California 90089-1693
U.S.A.
General Remarks
@
Subjects (Tree) Subjects (Date) Postings (List)

[45284] Hajime Hoji (→ [45036]) Sep/17/2015 (Thu) 05:33
A rough idea about the second book: its possible titles, the table of contents, etc.
I think some of the people who will have read my first book will think that it may be possible to pursue language faculty science as an exact science.

But, many of them, I think understandably, remain not quite convinced about its feasibility and the viability because certain things are not spelled out or illustrated to their satisfaction in my first book.

My second book, I think, will convince some of them that language faculty science as an exact science is indeed possible.

I have already starting writing it.
I will make postings about its content in due course.

For the title of the second book, I thought about Language Faculty Science: From a single-researcher-informant experiment to a multiple-non-researcher-informant experiment.

I will most likely pursue its publication from Cambridge University Press (CUP), in part because the second book will be making reference the website accompanying the first book, which clearly states "Cambridge University Press" on its pages.

According to the CUP commissioning editor, I cannot have the above title because there is already a book whose tile is Language Faculty Science.

Among the other alternatives I have considered so far are:

"Predictions and Experiments in Language Faculty Science"
"Definite Predictions about Linguistic Judgments by Individuals"

Of course, you might want to think about the title after you have come up with the bull of the book.
But, in this particular case, I have a fairly good idea about its content.

As to its table of contents, a simplified version of the table of contents that I am "working with" now is:

Chapter 1. Introduction
Chapter 2. A single-researcher-informant experiment
Chapter 3. A single-non-researcher-informant experiment
Chapter 4. A multiple-non-researcher-informant experiment
Chapter 5. Concluding remarks

In Chapter 2, I will discuss:
--Hypotheses about FD
--BVA, the sloppy-identity reading, coreference, and their different sources including FD
--Various LGs for BVA and coreference
--Various SGs

Note: I will also mention DR in relation to BVA, but won't get into details. I will mention the sloppy-identity reading, but its discussion will be quite limited. I may even make reference to Neg-related matters to make the reader understand the scope of our research in terms of types of interpretations. The SGs to be discussed will include the "regular" paradigms" of SOV, WCO, the Surface OS and the Deep OS, plus the long-distance OS, OSV of the local context, SOV of the local context, SOV of the Spec-binding context, and OSV of the Spec-binding context. I may mention the resumption, but will not discuss it.

Chapters 3 and 4 will discuss a subset of the issues addressed in Chapter 2.
Chapter 3 will be based on the single-non-informant experiment I conducted in Yokohama in May this year and follow-up experiments on the same informant.

Chapter 4 will be based in part on the EPSA Experiments we already have, but I will perhaps add some more EPSA Experiments.

References :
[45036] Hajime Hoji Jul/09/2015 (15:42)About the second book
[45285] Hajime Hoji Sep/17/2015 (05:59)The old table of contents for the second book