o Remarks
o Past Postings
O Works
o Downloadable Papers
o List of Publications
o Conference/Workshop Presentations
o Invited Talks
o Abstracts
O Works by other linguists (downloadable papers included)
o Works by Ayumi Ueyama (including her 1998 thesis)
o Works by J.-R. Hayashishita
o Works by Teruhiko Fukaya
o Works by Satoshi Kinsui
o Other Works
LINKS
O Dept of Ling, USC

O Ayumi Ueyama's webpage (written mostly in Japanese)
O Satoshi Kinsui's webpage (written mostly in Japanese)
O Jason Merchant's webpage
You can e-mail me at: hoji [at] usc.edu
Mailing address
Department of Linguistics
University of Southern California
Los Angeles, California 90089-1693
U.S.A.
General Remarks
@
Subjects (Tree) Subjects (Date) Postings (List)

[45014] Hajime Hoji Jul/04/2015 (Sat) 06:57
Linguistics and scientific methods
As I go through and proof-read the entire CUP manuscript, I got curious (again) about what people have to say about testability in linguistics, and Googled "testability in linguistics."

One of the hits was:

"Linguistics and scientific methods"
by David Eddington

https://www.jyu.fi/hum/laitokset/kielet/tutkimus/langnet/opiskelu/mennytta-ohjelmistoa/Dabrowska%206

According to http://www.researchgate.net/profile/David_Eddington/publication/228848641_Linguistics_and_the_scientific_method/links/00b7d539a0ad7bf2d1000000.pdf (which seems to be a better LINK that the first one), the paper appeared in a 2008 issue of Southwest Journal of Linguistics.

As I have noted elsewhere, there seem to be quite a few articles/works available that deal with "methodological issues" like what is addressed in the paper mentioned above. I think it is fairly easy to "situate" my CUP book in the context of discussions of that sort, as long as you have a good understanding of the points in the CUP book. As I have noted elsewhere, what remains to be not very clear to me is how I should talk to those people who do not clearly distinguish (i) language (and linguistics) and (ii) the language faculty (and language faculty science).

I would say that Chomsky is, at least partially, responsible for the general absence in the field of the clear distinction between the two notions because he often uses "language" when he means the language faculty.

References :
  No References

Follow-Ups :
[45015] Hajime Hoji Jul/04/2015 (07:58)Prospects for a new structuralism