o Remarks
o Past Postings
O Works
o Downloadable Papers
o List of Publications
o Conference/Workshop Presentations
o Invited Talks
o Abstracts
O Works by other linguists (downloadable papers included)
o Works by Ayumi Ueyama (including her 1998 thesis)
o Works by J.-R. Hayashishita
o Works by Teruhiko Fukaya
o Works by Satoshi Kinsui
o Other Works
LINKS
O Dept of Ling, USC

O Ayumi Ueyama's webpage (written mostly in Japanese)
O Satoshi Kinsui's webpage (written mostly in Japanese)
O Jason Merchant's webpage
You can e-mail me at: hoji [at] usc.edu
Mailing address
Department of Linguistics
University of Southern California
Los Angeles, California 90089-1693
U.S.A.
General Remarks
@
Subjects (Tree) Subjects (Date) Postings (List)

[44702] Hajime Hoji (→ [44520]) Oct/15/2014 (Wed) 05:16
If you are an internalist pursuing rigorous deducibility and testability
If you are an internalist pursuing rigorous deducibility and testability, you try to evaluate what others say about properties of the language faculty on the basis of experiments that you can conduct in your single-reseacher-informant experiment, where you test definite predictions that you can deduce in part from the hypotheses under discussion against your own intuitions. If what you read or listen to does not provide an explicit formulation of the proposed universal hypothesis/ses or an explicit means to test its/their empirical consequences, you do not what to do. One of the aims of the methodology proposed in my CUP book for language faculty science as an exact science is to make a life easier for those who are internalists pursuing rigorous deducibility and testability.

(I have not come up with a tern that refers to someone who is committed to the Guess-Compute-Compare method. If I had a term for that, I could state the content of the if clause above as, "If you are both an internalist and a xxxist.")

References :
[44520] Hajime Hoji Aug/08/2014 (18:53)The internalist approach to language and the language faculty