o Remarks
o Past Postings
O Works
o Downloadable Papers
o List of Publications
o Conference/Workshop Presentations
o Invited Talks
o Abstracts
O Works by other linguists (downloadable papers included)
o Works by Ayumi Ueyama (including her 1998 thesis)
o Works by J.-R. Hayashishita
o Works by Teruhiko Fukaya
o Works by Satoshi Kinsui
o Other Works
LINKS
O Dept of Ling, USC

O Ayumi Ueyama's webpage (written mostly in Japanese)
O Satoshi Kinsui's webpage (written mostly in Japanese)
O Jason Merchant's webpage
You can e-mail me at: hoji [at] usc.edu
Mailing address
Department of Linguistics
University of Southern California
Los Angeles, California 90089-1693
U.S.A.
General Remarks
@
Subjects (Tree) Subjects (Date) Postings (List)

[44520] Hajime Hoji Aug/08/2014 (Fri) 18:53
The internalist approach to language and the language faculty
If one pursues the internalist approach to language and the language faculty, one naturally considers one's own linguistic intuitions as a main manifestation of one's object of inquiry, i.e., the language faculty.

So, it seems to me to follow: if a native speaker of Japanese (mainly) works on a language other than Japanese, s/he is not an internalist.

Being an internalist also has another consequence: when one puts forth hypotheses to account for a set of linguistic intuitions of one's own, one considers whether what is stated by those hypotheses (or perhaps more accurately, the empirical content/consequence of those hypotheses) indeed feels like what goes on in one's mind when one judges sentences. This is about psychological reality of hypotheses in a naive (but important) sense.

So, it seem to me to follow: if someone working on her/his own language puts forth hypotheses to account for her/his own intuitions, but is only concerned with how things "work," and is not concerned about the relation between one's hypotheses and what seems to go on in her/his mind, s/he is not an internalist, despite the fact that s/he works on her/his native language. I.e., working on one's native language does not by itself make one an internalist.

References :
  No References

Follow-Ups :
[44541] Hajime Hoji Aug/14/2014 (01:20)What defines my research orientation
[44590] Hajime Hoji Aug/24/2014 (23:00)A matter of personal interest and personal taste
[44702] Hajime Hoji Oct/15/2014 (05:16)If you are an internalist pursuing rigorous deducibility and testability