o Remarks
o Past Postings
O Works
o Downloadable Papers
o List of Publications
o Conference/Workshop Presentations
o Invited Talks
o Abstracts
O Works by other linguists (downloadable papers included)
o Works by Ayumi Ueyama (including her 1998 thesis)
o Works by J.-R. Hayashishita
o Works by Teruhiko Fukaya
o Works by Satoshi Kinsui
o Other Works
LINKS
O Dept of Ling, USC

O Ayumi Ueyama's webpage (written mostly in Japanese)
O Satoshi Kinsui's webpage (written mostly in Japanese)
O Jason Merchant's webpage
You can e-mail me at: hoji [at] usc.edu
Mailing address
Department of Linguistics
University of Southern California
Los Angeles, California 90089-1693
U.S.A.
Past Postings
@
Subjects (Tree) Subjects (Date) Postings (List)

[42523] Hajime Hoji (→ [42515]) Mar/12/2012 (Mon) 12:07
Concrete illustration of the proposal
The concrete illustration of the proposal is not provided here.

We have conducted a number of on-line experiments on issues pertaining to:

Bound variable anaphora in
SOV in Japanese
OSV in Japanese
Resumption in OSV in Japanese
Long-distance OSV in Japanese
Local disjointness and OSV in Japanese

Preliminary experiments address:
So- vs. a-NPs as the bindee
Split antecedence in Japanese

and have obtained confirmed predicted schematic asymmetries in line with many of the predicted schematic asymmetries, which will be reported in my forthcoming works (and are reported in works under review).

We have also conducted a number of on-line experiments, whose results clearly dis-confirm *Schema-based predictions we obtain on the basis of language-particular hypotheses regarding so-called local anaphors in Japanese and show many other alleged (and widely accepted) generalizations in Japanese to be invalid. A very small portion of such results are reported in "Hypothesis testing in generative grammar: Evaluation of predicted schematic asymmetries" Journal of Japanese Linguistics 26, a slightly altered version of which is available here. See also the postings under Generalizations [42432] "Alleged generalizations in Japanese" for some more relevant remarks.

I understand that one finds it difficult to appreciate the methodology being proposed and pursued in my current works, thinking that the proposed methodology is too rigorous and too strict in order for one to realistically carry out one's research (and to be able to publish things and get jobs) unless one sees exactly how predicted schematic asymmetries get deduced and confirmed predicted schematic asymmetires have been obtained in actual experiments. I hope it will not be long before works that contain some of the relevant illustration will be published.

Meanwhile, Emi Mukai's "Bound Variable Construal with a 'Discontinuous' Binder" (WAFL 7) contains a small portion of what will be included in her forthcoming USC dissertation, and it gives you an idea about how the methodology for language faculty science advocated in Hoji 2010 (JJL) and elsewhere can be rigorously applied to the study of a certain "phenomena" pertaining to (or including) so-called floating numerals in Japanese. A draft version of the paper is available here.

Hoji 2006 "Assessing Competing Analyses: Two Hypotheses about 'Scrambling' in Japanese," available here also contains some relevant empirical materials although the conceptual and methodological articulation there is much less satisfactory than in what is stated in the postings under Methodology [42404].

References :
[42515] Hajime Hoji Mar/12/2012 (03:56)Comments as of March 2012