o Remarks
o Past Postings
O Works
o Downloadable Papers
o List of Publications
o Conference/Workshop Presentations
o Invited Talks
o Abstracts
O Works by other linguists (downloadable papers included)
o Works by Ayumi Ueyama (including her 1998 thesis)
o Works by J.-R. Hayashishita
o Works by Teruhiko Fukaya
o Works by Satoshi Kinsui
o Other Works
LINKS
O Dept of Ling, USC

O Ayumi Ueyama's webpage (written mostly in Japanese)
O Satoshi Kinsui's webpage (written mostly in Japanese)
O Jason Merchant's webpage
You can e-mail me at: hoji [at] usc.edu
Mailing address
Department of Linguistics
University of Southern California
Los Angeles, California 90089-1693
U.S.A.
General Remarks
@
Subjects (Tree) Subjects (Date) Postings (List)

[44964] Hajime Hoji May/20/2015 (Wed) 00:38
A talk at Gunma Prefectural Women's University, May 11, 2015
The abstract of my talk at Gunma Prefectural Women's University, May 11, 2015 was as follows:

"My forthcoming book Language Faculty Science (Cambridge University Press)
explores how we can aspire to accumulate knowledge about the language
faculty in line with Feynman's 'The test of all knowledge is
experiment'. The two pillars of the proposed methodology for language
faculty science are the internalist approach advocated by Chomsky and
what Feynman calls the 'Guess-Compute-Compare' method. Taking the
internalist approach, the research is concerned with the I-language of an individual speaker, taking an internal system of the mind as the object of inquiry). Adopting the Guess-Compute-Compare method, it aims
at deducing definite predictions and comparing them with experimental
results. The book offers a conceptual articulation of how we deduce definite predictions about the judgments of an individual speaker on the basis of universal and language-particular hypotheses and how we obtain experimental results precisely in accordance with such predictions. In pursuit of rigorous testability and reproducibility, the experimental demonstration in the book is supplemented by an accompanying website which provides the details of all the experiments discussed in the
book. In this lecture, I will try to present the core ideas of my forthcoming book in support of the viability of the study of the language faculty more in line with physics than with social and behavioral sciences."

I did not use a handout for the talk although I distributed a list of hypotheses and other key schemata and examples, given as Appendix I of Language Faculty Science. I think the talk went well. The preparation of the talk led me to realize a better way to address:

(i) the need to work on schemata
(ii) the fundamental schematic asymmetry

There are other innovations (with regard to an effective presentation) as the result of the Gunma talk. So, the talk was very productive.

I even feel now that I can try to come up with a "basic" lecture on language faculty science in 90 minutes, whose organization departs fairly radically from that of the Cambridge book.

References :
  No References

Follow-Ups :
 No Follow-Ups